Wednesday, July 5, 2017

What Is A Parable?

A parable is a teaching story with many levels of meaning. Meister Eckhart, the mystic-theologian-philosopher of the 12th and 13th century thought the interpretations of a parable were limitless.

Traditionalists maintain a four level distinction.

The literal (historical) points toward the past. The allegorical points toward the future; new characters are substituted for the characters in the parable. The tropological points downward to the present moment and provides the moral teaching of the parable. The anagogic interpretation points upward to the spiritual or mystical sense.

I predict my interpretations of the parables to be presented will mostly be anagogic though I will not ignore the others. Now that I think of it, I will toss away these four categories right now.

I will, like always, listen to the inner voice and write what I hear.

6 comments: